Saturday, April 2, 2016

B is for Greenup BIRD Patterson



I am participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge (April 2016), where we write 26 blog posts featuring each letter of the alphabet.  Each blogger can choose whatever subject matter they want.


Obviously, my interest is in Genealogy (categorized as History/Mythology for the Challenge), so I'll be posting short bios of my or my husband's ancestors.  Hopefully, this will give me the incentive to keep it up, at least for a month. Who knows, it might create a good habit.  

GREENUP BIRD PATTERSON 
(b May 1829 d 6 Nov 1905)

I don't have any direct ancestors whose first or last name starts with B so... I chose my Paternal Great Grandfather whose first name is strange, and whose middle name sounds like it should be a family name, but I can't find any connections.

Green's father and mother are two of my "brick walls."  They appear in the 1850 census in Boone County Missouri.  John Patterson, a farmer, born 1795 in Kentucky, and his wife, Sarah, born 1798 in Virginia.  John Patterson is such a common name that I haven't been able to place them in Kentucky

John, Sarah, Henry, Greenup, Samuel, John, James and Sarah Patterson


Greenup marries Elizabeth Ann Wigham (b 27 Oct 1831 - d 14 Dec 1907), on 10 April 1851.  They continue to live in Boone County Missouri through 1870.  In 1872, my Grandfather, Jasper Patterson is born in San Marcos, Hays County, Texas.  Greenup and Elizabeth continued to live in San Marcos until their deaths.  
Greenup (Green or GB) and Lizabeth Wigham Patterson Headstone
San Marcos Cemetery, San Marcos, Hays County, Texas
(Photo courtesy of a Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness volunteer - I can't find her name right now, but she also was able to send me copies of their wills)

#Patterson, #Greenup, #Boone County, #HaysCountyTexas




3 comments:

  1. This is fascinating. Glad I dropped by here. Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to study my family history. I have so many interests, but little time.

    The Really Real Housewives

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've dabbled only a little bit in my ancestry, but it's pretty cool to see things written by or about my great-grandparents and even great-greats.

    Rebecca at The Ninja Librarian

    ReplyDelete